blasted remains of the Clapton Portico are a popular and dramatic
local landmark in Hackney, North London. Originally constructed
in 1825 as an orphanage, the imposing stone Doric portico
served as the entrance to a larger complex of buildings, for
much its life the headquarters of the Salvation Army. When
the Salvation Army moved out in 1975 the rest of the buildings
were demolished leaving the Portico and connecting colonnades
as a roofless and steadily deteriorating townscape monument.
A new learning centre was added onto the back fo the original portico structure which was retained as an entrance. The form of the addition relates to the main volume of the portico but the facades provide a contrast to the restored stonework. Louvres cover the principal elevations combining solar shading functions with added security for the equipment inside the building and a lighter, layered surface compared to the Portico.
The Art works in the reception have been kindly donated by motiroti.
Client: Learning Trust
2007 Hackney Design Awards Commendation
2007 Ken Powell 'new london architecture'
2006 Architecture Today - 5 page feature
2006 Architecture Ireland - 5 page feature
2006/7/8 English Heritage: exemplar projects