Brady Mallalieu Architects
Sacred Heart Church
Built in 1878 the design of the church is attributed to Edward Welby Pugin. Brady Mallalieu Architects were appointed by Oblates of Mary Immaculate (OMI) to design and co-ordinate extensive internal refurbishment works of the Church. Our proposals sought to enhance the existing architecture by removing the visual clutter associated with modern lighting and technology and created a new lighting scheme integrated with the interiors. Suspended light fittings within the main body of the Church were designed and developed as contemporary 'coronas', a lighting arrangement typical of Victorian church architecture and the Pugin style. Their circular clustering design echoes the gothic quatrefoil motifs evident throughout the building and in the tracery of the window. We worked alongside specialist lighting and acoustic consultants to successfully realise the project.
Brady Mallalieu have also been involved in extensive external repairs to the Church, including specialist repairs to stone tracery and leaded glass.
Client: The Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate
Church Building & Heritage Review - Issue 141, dated May/June 2013